Saturday, August 4, 2012

Happy Food Day, Canada!

You know what makes a food geek want to celebrate? A whole day devoted to food! Today is Food Day Canada, so I thought I would share some of my favourite ways to celebrate food. Pick one to try today or try them all while the sun is still shining this August!


1. Go U-Pick. Nothing will make you appreciate those gorgeous overflowing cartons of berries more than realizing how long it takes you to pick them yourself. Plus, I can't think of a better way to spend a summer morning than out in the sunshine, plucking sweet, juicy berries. Followed by eating said berries.


2. Have an amazing, leisurely meal at a local restaurant celebrating Food Day. One of my favourite neighbourhood haunts, Campagnolo, is taking part.


3. Go to the farmer's market and say thank you to a farmer for all of their hard work. Not from Vancouver? Search for Canadian markets here or US markets here. Then rustle yourself up some gorgeous grub and pick a shady spot for a picnic lunch. 


4. Invite friends over for a potluck. My favourite dinner party is one I didn't have to spend 6 hours preparing for. 


5. Take a cooking class. Here is one sweet and one savoury on my wish list.


6. Go to the beach. Bring along tasty snacks and some foodie reading


7. Try making something you have never cooked or baked before. For inspiration, try this or this or this.


8. Treat yourself to your favourite food. Write a haiku about its pleasures.


9. Have a recipe swap. Ask friends to email you their best family recipes and then you can distribute them all to the group. No chain letters, please!!


10. Tell me what Food Day means to you!

No comments: