Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Be Happy...Healthy Holiday Gifts

For the last of my three healthy holiday gifts posts, I won't be sending you running to the mall to fight the frazzled, pushy, un-festive crowds. If you have people on your list that you haven't bought for yet - why not go another way?


With a full time job, a toddler,  a husband and a time consuming writing habit...I don't have a lot of free time. I am looking forward to some time off in just a few days and I think some of the best gifts you can give are time spent with friends and family doing something fun. So for this holiday gift instalment, here are my suggestions for the best healthy holiday gifts you can give: quality time.


1. Snowshoeing at Grouse Mountain - I have desperately wanted to try snowshoeing for the last 4 years and every year seems to pass without me hitting the alpine. Maybe this will be my year? Grouse Mountain offers nightly guided snow showing tours that end with a fondue feast. Okay, so heaping pots of cheese and chocolate aren't the pinnacle of health but the broth course is healthy and you did just complete an hour of snowshoeing... 


2. Wander through Van Dusen Festival of Lights - Bundle up, fill up a thermos with hot chocolate (spike it with Baileys...I won't tell) and take friends for a long evening's walk through the thousands of glittering lights at Van Dusen Gardens. Take girl's night out to a festive new level. Nightly until January 2nd. 


3. Sign up for a cooking class at The Dirty Apron and invite your friends over for a New Year's tapas party. A little gift for you...and some great fun with friends post Christmas, when everyone needs a lift!


4. Offer an evening of babysitting to friends who have children. If you have children, I needn't explain further. If you don't...marvel in how inexplicably thankful your friends will be when you send them out for a night on their own. Feel smug and thoughtful and help yourself to treats after the kids go down for the night.


5. Treat a friend to a yoga, Bar Method or any other fitness class, followed by a stop at your favourite cafe. My favourite spot is YYoga...where you can go for a class, get a sauna and have a cup of tea, all in one locale. Perfect way to get fit and reconnect all at once!


Here is to a healthy holiday,
Desiree

1 comment:

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

I just LOVE the yoga idea!!! I'm finished my gift purchasing, but will add that to the "list" for next year. Happy Holidays.