Sunday, October 30, 2011

UnDiet...Week 41

Hello UnDieters! 


Don't those look good? 


Are any of you still eating an apple a day? If you can remember back, oh-so-long ago, that was our very first challenge in this year of healthy eating. Sometimes the simplest missions are the best. 


You would easily be forgiven if you had abandoned your resolve to eat a daily apple through the summer, with all of that blushing summer produce. However, now that the berries, peaches and plums have been either preserved or composted, it is time to get reacquainted with the fruits of fall labour. So as we get back in touch with our original goal, let's up the ante just a little bit. You are all now very well established UnDieters and it shouldn't faze you at all! 


For this week, let's eat one apple AND one pear a day...and keep it up through New Year's Day. These beautiful fruits are the very best that BC has to offer right now. Crisp, sweet and packed with fibre, eating an apple and a pear everyday will help boost your intake of fruit and veg in a season when it can be all too simple to forget produce. Red skins will provide anthocyanins for a healthy heart; apples feature quercetin to support respiratory health and copper in pears helps build SOD, a super antioxidant in the body. Just what this busy season calls for, I think...


To your health!
Desiree



2 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Desirée !

I was just looking at the Dietitians of Canada website and came across your name on the career stories page! When I first saw your name, I thought it sounded really familiar! Then I remembered this blog!

I just wanted to let you know that you're an inspiration to all dietetic students out there, especially me!

Cheers,
Connie

Unknown said...

Hi Connie,

What a lovely thing to say...thank you so much! I feel really fortunate to have found a career I am so passionate about. I hope you find the same passion in your career!

Desiree