Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Drink...something less sweet


Non-alcoholic drinks usually mean pop, juice or the ever inventive pop+juice combination (hello cranberry & soda!). As lovely as wine, beer and assorted treats are...sometimes you want or need something minus the buzz. And given that I am not much for anything sugary I usually end up with just plain soda water in my glass. Restaurants that offer interesting non-alcoholic cocktails (or good virginized versions of their signature cocktails) are few and far between and deserve much praise...hello Cascade Room, Fairmont Pacific Rim, Cafeteria and others.


I was messing around in my kitchen with some DRY soda (no...they didn't sponsor this...) and came up with this little mocktail that tasted so good even my husband wanted to steal my drink.


I think I will call it a Peach Melba....here is the recipe...makes 3 servings


Puree 1 ripe (local!) peach with 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice and 1 tbsp of water. An immersion blender, regular blender or mini food processor will all work.
Pour one third of a bottle of DRY vanilla bean soda over ice in a short glass and top with 1/3 of the peach puree. Enjoy!


Why use DRY soda specifically? DRY soda is more of an "adult" oriented treat. All natural, not too sweet...in fact, the whole bottle of DRY vanilla bean soda is only 60 calories. It comes in other cool flavours like cucumber, juniper berry and kumquat. Awesome for mixers....if anyone else comes up with some great non-alcoholic drink ideas...let me know! 


It is a long, hot summer...


In good health,
Desiree

1 comment:

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

I have a 4 pack of DRY vanilla in my fridge right now. Love that stuff. If only I had peaches, I would give your drink a try :) But I do think I'll have one straight up with dinner tonight!